Here’s a list of the vitamins you’ll need for your hair according to The World of Hair website:
1. Vitamin A – This vitamin is an antioxidant that helps produce healthy sebum in the scalp. Food sources: Fish liver oil, meat, milk, cheese, eggs, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, apricots and peaches. Daily dosage should be 5,000 IU. More than 25,000 IU is toxic and can cause hair loss and other serious health problems.
2. Vitamin C – It is an antioxidant that helps maintain skin & hair health. Food sources: Citrus fruits, strawberries, kiwi, cantaloupe, pineapple, tomatoes, green peppers, potatoes and dark green vegetables. Daily Dose: 60 mg.
3. Vitamin E – This vitamin is an antioxidant that enhances scalp circulation. Food sources: Cold-pressed vegetable oils, wheat germ oil, soybeans, raw seeds and nuts, dried beans, and leafy green vegetables. Daily dose: Up to 400 IU. Intake of this vitamin can raise blood pressure and reduce blood clotting. Those under high blood pressure medication would need clearance from their doctors.
4. Biotin – This vitamin produces keratin that prevents hair loss and hair graying. may prevent graying and hair loss. Food sources: Brewer’s yeast, whole grains, egg yolks, liver, rice and milk. Daily dose: 150-300 mcg.
5. Inositol – This vitamin keeps hair follicles healthy at the cellular level. Food sources: Whole grains, brewer’s yeast, liver and citrus fruits. Daily Dose: Up to 600 mg.
6. Niacin (Vitamin B3) – This vitamin allows scalp blood circulation. Food sources: Brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, fish, chicken, turkey and meat. Daily dose: 15 mg.
7. Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) – This prevents graying and hair loss. Food sources: Whole grain cereals, brewer’s yeast, organ meats and egg yolks. Daily dose: 4-7 mg.
8. Vitamin B6 – It prevents hair loss and helps create melanin that gives hair its color. Food sources: Brewer’s yeast, liver, whole grain cereals, vegetables, organ meats and egg yolk. Daily dose: 1.6 mg. High dosage of this vitamin can cause numbness in hands and feet.
9. Vitamin B12 – It prevents hair loss. Food sources: Chicken, fish, eggs and milk. Daily dose: 2 mg.